USA Hockey and the AYHL rec program encourages a non-competitive environment, in which children can learn basic skills of hockey without the distractions that are often associated with competitive travel hockey. Each team will get one practice and one game a week. There are no games or practices during the Mile High Meltdown (President's Day) Tournament. For more information on rec hockey please visit Arapahoe Youth Hockey.
Eight and Under
- Players will be placed on a team according to age and/or ability
- Practices will be 1 HOUR cross ice with up to six teams per session
- Increase opportunities for players to touch and handle the puck
- Stress participation, fun and skill development
- Provide a positive environment for learning the fundamental skills of hockey
- Encourage creativity with and without the puck
Squirt Through Midget
- Practices will be 1 HOUR of half ice with 2 teams sharing the ice
- Games will be full ice
- Scores and league standings are kept electronically
- NO TOURNAMENT ROSTERS
- AYHL recreation players cannot be rostered with another association
- Teams play in the CRHL (Colorado Recreational Hockey League)
- Teams are limited to two tournaments per season in addition to the Mile High Meltdown
The Arapahoe Youth Hockey League provides up to 16 competitive teams.
||Midget Major A
||Midget Minor AA
||Midget Minor A
Players are selected for Travel teams through a tryout process.
- There may be as many as 2-3 practices a week with additional time for off ice training.
- Be prepared to sacrifice holiday breaks to attend tournaments.
For more information on Travel Hockey, please visit Arapahoe Youth Hockey.